Firework display under investigation in M5 crash - Car Rental News
Firework display under investigation in M5 crash
Car Rental News - 07/11/2011
Police have said a firework display is a ‘major’ line of inquiry in the probe into the cause of the M5 motorway crash.
The news came during a statement from Anthony Bangham, the assistant chief constable of Avon and Somerset Police, during which he said that a large amount of smoke was crossing the motorway at the time of the 34-car pileup, which happened Saturday night at about 8:30pm local time near Taunton at junction 25.
Seven people were killed and more than 50 others were injured in the massive pileup.
Mr Bangham said to reporters that the focus of police investigations has now shifted to the firework event that was taking place on the side of the roadway on Saturday. He said there had been fog in the area but added that witnesses had said there was also a thick bank of smoke that had been very distracting and created difficult driving conditions.
He went on to say that accountability was clearly a major part of the investigation, which he said was already underway via both road policing unit collision investigators. He said they would be looking into whether or not the firework show had permission to go on and how it was organised.
Northbound lanes and two southbound lanes on the carriageway reopened on Sunday, leaving just one southbound lane closed through Monday.